 CAD / Development / 3078
Re: Clipping / CCW / CW / INVERT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 17:40:02 GMT

Rui Martins wrote:

Actually, since LDraw doesn't do shading, transparent surfaces *can* be
clipped.  Only edges, the top-most solid surface, and the top-most
transparent surface will show up in the final rendered image.

  Check the instructions of any LEGO MODEL and you will see an attempt
  to represent translucency/transparency, by using dots.
  If we can actually do transparency, we should to it to every polygon
  that as transparent/translucid color (maybe these are not the correct
  terms).

  No, when I look at the images I see real alpha-blended surfaces :)
I've tried to turn backface culling in the transparent parts and they
looked very ugly, it's better to draw everything in those cases.

  Yes it will!
  it will allow to keep backward compatibility with every file already
  made, without changing anything. If the file is enhanced then it will
  benefit a Faster Drawing and extract functionality (real transparency).

  Remember that this is what is done in OpenGL, which was well though by
  Silicon Graphics, after years in the 3D business.
  To use this features, in a similar way, will simplify the making (or
  appending) of a program written in OpenGL, and probably D3D (since they
  use something similar).

  Just a note to correct the statement before it gets confused:

  If you keep changing states (turning backface culling on/off or
changing front faces from CW to CCW) very often, you'll get a *slower*
rendering in OpenGL (don't know about D3D). And remember that in a
couple of months nVidia's GeForce chip will be out and everybody will be
able to have hardware T&L, making rendering much faster if done in the
right way.

Leonardo