 CAD / Development / 3071
Re: Clipping / CCW / CW / INVERT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 15:08:53 GMT

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999 21:32:26 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:

Steve Bliss wrote:

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999 18:15:40 GMT, Rui Martins <Rui.Martins@link.pt> wrote:

From this we now know that "Opaque solids" can have some faces "Clipped"
and that transparent object (solid or not) CAN'T have any faces clipped.

Actually, since LDraw doesn't do shading, transparent surfaces *can* be
clipped.  Only edges, the top-most solid surface, and the top-most
transparent surface will show up in the final rendered image.

I believe this is incorrect, no? ALL transparent surfaces should appear,
if only to make a contribution to the color that underlying surfaces
appear to be (consider a trans blue surface in front of a trans yellow
in front of a white... )

I was just pointing out that the clippability of transparent surfaces is a
feature of the rendering program, and shouldn't be assumed in the
description language.

Steve