 CAD / Development / 3056
Re: Clipping / CCW / CW / INVERT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 19:14:23 GMT

Lots of good stuff in your post, Rui!

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999 18:15:40 GMT, Rui Martins <Rui.Martins@link.pt> wrote:

So if a solid object is Opaque, then from any view point there are some
faces that are invisible, because they are facing away from the viewer.

(Side note: there are not actually any solids in LDraw. Only lines and
polygons).

From this we now know that "Opaque solids" can have some faces "Clipped"
and that transparent object (solid or not) CAN'T have any faces clipped.

Actually, since LDraw doesn't do shading, transparent surfaces *can* be
clipped.  Only edges, the top-most solid surface, and the top-most
transparent surface will show up in the final rendered image.

<Snip description of WINDING and CLIPPING>

Here's a brief comparision of the proposed 0 FACE meta-statement, and the
WINDING/CLIPPING meta-statements:

0 FACE CW =
0 WINDING CW
0 CLIPPING ON
0 FACE CCW =
0 WINDING CCW
0 CLIPPING ON
0 FACE UNKNOWN =
0 CLIPPING OFF
0 WINDING UNKNOWN (if there was such a thing)
0 FACE DOUBLESIDED
0 CLIPPING OFF
(except FACE DS doesn't preserve any WINDING state)

Looks like half of one, six dozen of the other to me.  Using
WINDING/CLIPPING would be slightly more powerful, but I don't know that it
would have any practical benefit.

About the stair case quads
--------------------------
For Quads used has front and back:

Correct the problem, by defining N subparts of the same quad (as much as
needed) until each of the subparts winding can be defined. This probably
must be done by hand.

Agreed.

In the simple case, just disable CLIPPING, before the problematic quad and
enable it again after. this way the quad is drawn as a two sided quad.

Easy patch, for the short-term.

About the INVERT tag
To know if the file should be inverted, we could look if the determinant
is negative or not (Someone already said that).

Why would we use a tag to inform the parser of something that he can find
out?

To allow parts-authors to selectively invert subfiles.

I propose that this flag scope is only valid until the next file
reference, where it is used, after that (in this file, the one with the
reference to another) it is disabled.

That sounds logical, but may be confusing, because of the potential hanging