 CAD / Development / 2532
Re: LDlite 1.6 problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 11:34:10 GMT

Paul Gyugyi <paul@gyugyi.com> writes:

The investment would perhaps have been better spent, for example,
tweaking POV to do edge highlighting

Now that's an interesting idea.  There is much information in the DAT
files which is discarded when converting with L3P, namely all the type 2
and type 5 lines.  Being able to incorporate this information will
probably make more informative images.  Right now, I think that LDLITE'd
images have more details than raytraced ones, and are thus better suited
for model instructions.

But POV-Ray is probably made to make realistic images, and incorporating
edge highlighting will not make an image look realistic.  I have no idea
how one would go ahead to include edge highlighting in POV-Ray, but then
again, I'm not that familiar with the raytracer.

Right now, I feel that LDLITE and L3P have their own two niches:
Informative images like the ones presented in the LEGO instruction
leaflets can be produced with LDLITE, and photorealistic images with
L3P.

One feature I would like to see in an LDLITE style renderer is
anti-aliasing, but I have no idea how this could be done.

Fredrik