 CAD / Development / 2183
Re: LDAO Suggestion Mark 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 07:26:33 GMT

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999 06:31:21 GMT, Paul Gyugyi <paul@gyugyi.com> wrote:

Should we add a search path in the ldraw.ini file?

A definable search path would be good.  Some ideas:

1. An ini-file setting.
2. Several ini-file settings, similar to the [Views] section.  Let the user
setup as many different ones as he wants, and pick one at render-time.
3. An environment variable.  This would be L3P-friendly.
4. A command-line option.  Not necessarily a good idea (how many people
launch LDLite from the command line?  I'd guess very few), but LDAO could
pass stuff this way.
5. A configurable option within the program.  Useable, but would end up
costing the user a double-rendering.
6. A meta-command, in the main model file.

Pick one (or more), they're all useful in different ways.

There is a performance hit if you specify the directories in a
different order.  The first time LDLite finds a reference to a file,
it tries to open the file in /p directory,  then /parts, etc.  Trying
to open a file takes forever (relatively speaking). If you changed
the search path so that /p (the directory most likely to have a file)
was not the first directory, but the second (e.g. you wanted to put
the current directory first), all first-time references to files in
the /p directory would take twice as long to resolve.

Generally, I'm not too interested in thinking about messing with the search
order of the standard directories.  But adding stuff before and after the
<standard> stuff, that could be cool.

OTOH, talking about performance hits, does LDLite do any context-sensitive
searching?  For example, if the current file is from /p, and it makes
another file reference, that subfile *should* (actually, if everything is
set up properly, it *must*) also be in the /p directory.  If the current
file is in /models, then it is most likely that the subfile will be in
/parts.  But there's also a reasonable chance that the subfile is in
/models, and /models is usually much smaller than /parts, so it probably
makes sense to check /models, then /parts, then /p.  So sh/could the
internal search order change, based on the directory of the current file?
It will work, as long as there aren't duplicate files laying about.

A search path would be nice.

Yes, it would.

One can imagine LDLite adding support
for cylinder and disc primitives.

Yes, one can.  Really, really.

In that case, you might want to
create an /ldlite_p directory, place it first in the search path, and
put an optimized version of stud.dat therein.

That would be good. :)

Steve