 CAD / Development / 2182
Re: LDAO Suggestion Mark 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 06:31:21 GMT

Should we add a search path in the ldraw.ini file?

There is a performance hit if you specify the directories in a
different order.  The first time LDLite finds a reference to a file,
it tries to open the file in /p directory,  then /parts, etc.  Trying
to open a file takes forever (relatively speaking). If you changed
the search path so that /p (the directory most likely to have a file)
was not the first directory, but the second (e.g. you wanted to put
the current directory first), all first-time references to files in
the /p directory would take twice as long to resolve.

A search path would be nice.  One can imagine LDLite adding support
for cylinder and disc primitives.  In that case, you might want to
create an /ldlite_p directory, place it first in the search path, and
put an optimized version of stud.dat therein.

Steve Bliss wrote:

I am planning on (and working on) using real directories, and making sure
the LDAO & LDLite modeling combination work well in that mode.

The only potential gotcha is with duplicate files.  For example, if I make
a variation of 3001.dat, and store it in ldraw\models, LDraw (and LDLite)
will render the official version, not my variation.  This is because files
are always located by using the search paths first, and the first 3001.dat
is found in ldraw\parts.  A similar problem would exist if I used
ldraw\models for some, then went off to a different directory, but some of
the files in the new directory had the same name as files in ldraw\models.
LDLite would render the files in ldraw\models.  The only way around this is
to always specify the path when referencing subfiles.

Steve