 CAD / Development / 2156
Re: LDAO Suggestion Mark 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 02:24:25 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote in message <377286a1.20085558@lugnet.com>...
On Thu, 24 Jun 1999 15:30:18 GMT, "John Bauman" <jtb86@ptdprolog.net>
wrote:

Steve Bliss wrote in message <37714eef.19012626@lugnet.com>...
On Wed, 23 Jun 1999 19:51:39 GMT, "John VanZwieten"
<john_vanzwieten@email.msn.com> wrote:

And say I'm working in my "Space" virtual directory and I create a model
called Ship1.dat.  Does the actual Ship1.dat go into the /models • directory
and
have a LNK file put in Space?  What if I'm then working in a "Sea" • virtual
directory and also create a model named Ship1.dat?  Does the space • Ship1.dat
get overwritten?

As I understand Jamie's idea, all model DAT's are physically stored in • the
/models directory.  So you could only have one Ship1.dat.  When you tried
to create a second file with the same name, the software should warn you.
Unless you use name mangling...
Why don't we just use real dirs, anyway. I'm sure ldlite, ldraw, and ledit
support it.
What programs do not.

LDraw and LEdit do not support other directories.  Well, they do, sort of.
They will look for sub-files in the following locations:

- ldraw\p
- ldraw\parts
- ldraw\models
- current directory

oops, oh yeah
The last search option is what allows most programs to run multi-file
models from any location.  For example, when a file is opened in LDLite,
the program switches to that file's directory before rendering.  So any
local submodel files will be correctly located.

But LDraw and LEdit must be run from the LDraw directory.  So the 'current
directory' search location doesn't buy them much.

I am planning on (and working on) using real directories, and making sure
the LDAO & LDLite modeling combination work well in that mode.

The only potential gotcha is with duplicate files.  For example, if I make
a variation of 3001.dat, and store it in ldraw\models, LDraw (and LDLite)
will render the official version, not my variation.  This is because files
are always located by using the search paths first, and the first 3001.dat
is found in ldraw\parts.  A similar problem would exist if I used
ldraw\models for some, then went off to a different directory, but some of
the files in the new directory had the same name as files in ldraw\models.
LDLite would render the files in ldraw\models.  The only way around this is
to always specify the path when referencing subfiles.

Steve