 CAD / Development / 1691
Re: Torso number was Forestman Torso was Voting Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 15:27:45 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
On Thu, 13 May 1999 08:12:13 GMT, legoverse@geocities.com (Terry K) wrote:

And on another note, it has come to my attention that 9326 is NOT the torso
number.  I really hate to say this, but we need to move the torsos out of • that
number to a 3-digit number.

The good news is that we don't know for sure what 9326 is exactly, so we can
have "~moved to" files for all of them.  At least until 9326 becomes known • and
made - which may be quite a long time.
But we do need to move them, as 9326 is known to be wrong.  9xxx series • numbers
were basically a precursor to the current 8xxxx series numbers.  Numbers • which
refer to a composite structure, not a single piece.  In this case, torsos
*with* arms - not just armless torsos.

So you can see the future conflict, and why we should do it now, as the • problem
only gets worse as time goes by.

So waittaminut.  I read you writing that 9326 *was* a number for the
composite torso-with-arms-and-hands, but is not any longer used for that
purpose.  The 9xxx numbers were an earlier composite range.  New parts are
made with 5-digit numbers.  So where's the 'future conflict'?  What part is
going to come along and slurp up 9326?  Is this really a move worth making?

And since the torsos are already going through a mass structural change, it
would be good idea to do it now.

Any preferences to which 3-digit number to use?  932 is open.  Or 999. Heck, • a
pretty wide open field, in fact.

The 'minifig 3-digit part range' currently includes:

970.DAT       Minifig Hips

971.DAT       Minifig Leg Right

972.DAT       Minifig Leg Left

975.DAT       Minifig Arm Right

976.DAT       Minifig Arm Left

977.DAT       Minifig Hand

979.DAT       Minifig (Complete Figure Shortcut)

980.DAT       Minifig (Complete Figure Shortcut, Sitting)

So 973 974 978 or 981 would be the next open numbers.  I'm not sure why we
skipped 973, 974 and 978 when we laid out these numbers...

Steve
If we must make this move, let's use up the gaps - I suggest 974 - as close to
the arms as the hip piece is to the legs - but I guess it makes little
difference.

This would also be a great opportunity to spread out the p... numbers a bit
more, to allow for future expansion whilst keeping members of the same theme
together. Eg. Town 001-099, Space 100-199, Castle 200-299, etc, and even
subgrouping within that. Any objection to using three-digit P... numbers
exclusively? Seems better than p01, p02 .... p98, p99, p100. If no
objections, I'll try and post a more detailed plan.

Is there a real likelihood that we will ever find the real number for the torso
part, or do we actually have four characters to play with (974p....)? If so we
might be able to be more descriptive?

Chris