 CAD / Development / 1694
Re: Torso number was Forestman Torso was Voting Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 19:46:31 GMT

On Thu, 13 May 1999 15:27:45 GMT, "Chris Dee" <chris_w_dee@hotmail.com>
wrote:

This would also be a great opportunity to spread out the p... numbers a bit
more, to allow for future expansion whilst keeping members of the same theme
together. Eg. Town 001-099, Space 100-199, Castle 200-299, etc, and even
subgrouping within that. Any objection to using three-digit P... numbers
exclusively? Seems better than p01, p02 .... p98, p99, p100. If no
objections, I'll try and post a more detailed plan.

Is there a real likelihood that we will ever find the real number for the torso
part, or do we actually have four characters to play with (974p....)? If so we
might be able to be more descriptive?

Are you suggesting using the spare character as a theme-flag, or are you
thinking of something else entirely?  It would be kind of cool to use a
one- or two-character sub-theme id, and then number within that theme.  So
if all the Ice Planet torsos were released, we could have:

974PIP01.dat
974PIP02.dat
974PIP03.dat

With general-theme codes (S for Space, C for Castle, T for Town and P for
Pirates), we could stick to 2-digit codes and still have 99 torsos per
theme.  If we use sub-theme codes when possible, there would only be 9
torsos per sub-theme, but has there ever been a subtheme with more than 9
new torsos?  And this would all still work, even if we ever discovered the
4-digit part number for the torso:

General theme format: xxxxPtyy.dat
    Sub-theme format: xxxxPtty.dat

This would be pretty cool, as long as we all agree that the 'theme id' is
not necessarily an exact reference.  TLG is getting away from the Big 4
themes, and running everything as clustered sub-themes, so a lot of parts
don't fit neatly into the main theme designations.

Steve