 CAD / Development / 1690
1689  |  1691
Subject:
Suggestion for LDraw FAQ
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 14:23:08 GMT

[crossposted to lugnet.faq and lugnet.cad.dev, followup-to set to
lugnet.faq]

Looking at the LDraw FAQ, it looks like a new level of organization is
needed, above the current levels.  More precisely, a large number of the
topics should be grouped into a fewer number of top-level categories.
Here's the current table of contents:

0) About this FAQ:
  a) Table of contents
  b) Locations of the FAQ
  c) Useful addresses
1) What is this LDraw thing?
2) Where can I get a copy of LDraw?
3) Can I get the source code?
4) What platforms does the program work on?
5) Where can I find examples?
6) Who made it?
7) What does LEGO (the company) think of it?
8) Where can I ask questions about LDraw?
9) Mailing list?!? What mailing list?
10) Other LEGO CAD programs
11) How can I convert a LDraw .dat file to a .bmp file?
12) Can I use models as if they were pieces?
13) How can I insert comments in the .dat files?
14) How can I get the pieces to line up?
15) How can I turn a hinge from one step in the instructions to the next?
16) What's the most recent edition of the LDraw package?
17) What does the numbers that follow the "-a" parameter mean?
18) Why don't the -MS and -MP options draw the last step of my model?
19) What do I do when LEdit crashes?
  a) - when you try to get the on-screen parts list
  b) - with the message "Graphics error: Invalid device driver file
     (EGAVGA.BGI)"
20) What is the .DAT file format?
21) How can I make ray-traced images of LDraw models?
22) How does one map a bitmap onto a LDraw object?
23) How can I get a clear brick in LDraw?
24) How can I create a part that is not yet in LDraw?
25) How can I find the numbers for a view in LDraw?
26) Where does LDraw look for files
27) What is the colour code for ... ?
28) Runtime Error 200 ???
29) Runtime Error 003 ???
30) Can I get LDraw to put the BMP files somewhere else?
31) What is the parts voting procedure?
32) What are the MIME types for LDraw and MPD files?

I can see a need for at least the following:

- Introduction/general information
  (questions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 16, 32)
- Using LDraw/LEdit
  (questions 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 23, 25, 26, 27, 30)
- Troubleshooting
  (questions 19, 28, 29)
- Other tools
  (questions 10, 21)
- LDraw file format (this is just question 20, but the sub-levels should be
  included in the TOC)
- Creating parts
  (questions 22, 24)
- Ongoing maintenance and development