 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 373
Re: Updated Part: 700.dat - Brick 10 x 20
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:31:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Tore Eriksson wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, John Riley wrote:

It looks like there could be significant use of stud4 groups as well.  I'm also
thinking that 1 x n rows of stud2 and stud 3 could be useful.  Not as high in
demand, but the stud4 groups would be really nice.  (The version of 700.dat
posted is now over half stud4 calls.)  (For stug2, I think just a 2x2 and 1x4
would be all that is needed)

I've been thinking about groups of stud3 and stud4, but found it not too
commonly used as the stud.dat. Baseplates for example have no bottom studs.
There is also a little problem with the odd numbers - four top studs corresponds
to three bottom studs, 6 to 5, 8 to 7 and so on. I see no natural, generally
useful numbers.

My thought is that a group of 8 studs is the least number where it's worthwhile.
You save 7 calls by using such a group. With a group of 4, you only save 3
lines.

Well, that's 3 lines per instance.  It takes 3 calls of a group of 4 to get to
the same line savings as the group of 8.  And 1 x 4 and 2 x 2 groups are common
enough to get at least 7 lines saved.  In the 700.dat you posted, just using 1 x
4 groups of stud4's will save ~30 lines (40 calls to 10 calls, roughly).  Even 1
x 3 groups for stud4's would still save enough lines (all the variations of 2x4
bricks would make this worthwhile).

Personally, I think that a group of 4 (3 for underneath) or larger is
worthwhile.  Larger groups can be made from the smaller groups, thus immediately
gaining some line savings (similar to using 1-4 primitives to make 4-4
primitives, though in those cases, the savings are huge).  The line savings from
small groups will grow as the smaller groups are implemented into the parts at
large (as it is, I already use stud clusters as subparts when designing complex
or large parts anyway, even if the stud cluster is just 4 studs).

Would a naming convention of
stugNx-z.dat
be useful?
where
N is the corresponding stud type (underscore for stud.dat)
x and z are dimensions as before.

Well, almost. :) Earlier i this thread, Chris suggested that "The existing
parts\s\4186a.dat would become p\stuc1-48.dat" (c for cluster, now g for group)
Together with the suggested N, that would make 9+3, no longer within DOS naming
covention. How about stNgx-z.dat? Then the numbers are kept apart to avoid
confusion. All this, of course, if we decide to have groups other than with just
standard top studs.

I like the stNgX-Z name.  Though I was under the impression from an earlier post
that Z was going to be single digit only.  (How many times is a 1 x 48 is going
to be used?  48 times in that file.  Using 8 x 8 clusters, you'd only need 36
calls.  And there are many more pieces that would use an 8x8 than a 1x48).

Of course, what happens if we need clusters of stud11's?  (or any future stud
that Lego designs)  I'm for planning for possible expansion, that's why I'd like
to see Z remain single digit, so that N can become double digit if needed.
(another scenario:  N or Z can be double digit, but not both).

I like the idea of stud groups; I would just like it spread universally,

Me too. I'm planning to try this idea in the PT as soon as any discussion on
this subject is finished here.

/Tore

It's a good idea.  Especially with slews of BFC fixed files on the PT right now.
It'd be nice to resubmit them with stud groups before the next part update
release.

John