 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 311
Re: "Clusters" of Studs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 06:19:08 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Tore Eriksson writes:
Inspired by parts\s\4186a.dat, I would like to see "clusters" of studs, say
6 x 6 and 8 x 8. That would make a lot of part files *much* smaller.

Maybe we could call them Stud36.dat and Stud64.dat?

/Tore

In principle this sounds OK to me, but I would want to be somewhat restrictive
about how many new files we have - 4x4, 6x6, 8x8 sound good combinations. What
others?

Regarding a naming convention, though, do we know how all renderers recognise
STUDx primitives to do the STU2x substitution for fast-draw mode? To avoid any
conflict here, and to add further value to the name, how about something like
STUCx-z meaning Stud Cluster x by z. I dont see any value in both x and z going
to 2 digits. The existing parts\s\4186a.dat would become p\stuc1-48.dat. I'm
also assuming here that this would only be of value for regular stud.dat
primitives, so we dont need an extra character to capture the x in STUDx.DAT.
Chris