 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 2598
2597  |  2599
Subject:
Part Authoring FAQ (was Re:Some submission guidelines...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 13:42:01 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Don Heyse wrote something that triggered me to
write at length:

Oops, sorry about that.  Really all this info should be added to the
FAQ on www.ldraw.org.  All the FAQ says about submitting is "When you
have finished the part, you should check it for technical mistakes with
l3p -check, and then send it to parts@ldraw.org so it can be included
in the L-CAD parts distribution."  That's not enough information.
There was some talk about a Parts Authoring FAQ in these threads.

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=4868
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/?n=1536

Whatever happened to that?  Perhaps we just need a link to it from the
ldraw FAQ.

I was under the impression that you can submit them all as one MPD file
and then someone in charge takes it apart and puts the individual files
in the right directories (as long as the MPD file contains the paths).

Posting to lugnet.cad.dat.parts as an MPD is cool.  It's better than the
alternative (posting several messages, possibly pointing links to
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, etc).

When you submit files (by emailing them to parts@ldraw.org), I'd rather
you send them as individual files.  Submitting several in one email is
OK.

If you do send them as MPD, please make it clear in the message what all
is included.  Definitely include the subdirectories in the filenames
(you have to, or else the MPD won't render).  That will make my job
easier.

For development, it seems (IMO) that it makes more sense *not* to MPD
stuff, except for single-use bits that you're setting up to keep things
organized.

The *best* way to submit files is:

1. Send the files as attachments, not in the message text.
2. Feel free to attach multiple files to a single email.
3. Generally, don't zip.  Unless you've got several parts, primitives,
and subparts.  Then zip with directories.  That way, I can easily unzip
to the proper locations.

Please *don't* submit files and ask for feedback.  If you (that's a
general you, not anyone in particular) think that you'll probably need
to make some fixes, post to lugnet.cad.dat.parts and ask for feedback.
It takes a bit of time to deal with each submitted file, and if you send
in several revisions (in rapid succession), I've got to sort them all
out.

Oh, and make sure the file has a good header.  And the name is all lower
case.

Steve