 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 2204
2203  |  2205
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: New Part: 3001_d.dat - Duplo Brick 2 x 4
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 16:29:29 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Tony Hafner wrote:

Again, I'm not an expert on naming conventions.  But it makes sense to me to
name a Duplo piece after the corresponding System piece and append it with
"_d".  But if someone more up on this sort of thing has a better idea, by
all means correct me (not like I could stop you from doing so...)

To find the correct part number, take a DUPLO 2x4 and examine the
underside.  There should be a 4 or 5 digit number stamped into the part,
usually on the underside of the top.  This is the part number.

Here is a Duplo 2 x  4, using these recently posted primitives:
Tore Eriksson's "Studdu2.dat":
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/primitives/?n=123
my recently posted "Stud4du.dat":
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/primitives/?n=125

Someone needs to rename these stud p-files.  They don't follow the standard
standard.  The next available number for studs is 7.  So my suggestion is:

stud7.dat      Stud Duplo Open
stud8.dat      Stud Duplo Tube Open
stu27.dat      Stud Duplo Open (Fast-Draw)
stu28.dat      Stud Duplo Open (Fast-Draw)

When I tried to load a construction using this part into MLCAD, I got a
missing file error for "stu24du.dat".  Seeing that I never referenced this
file, I assumed that it is an alternate rendering file that is implicitly
required by the inclusion of the "stud4du.dat" primitive.  I cheated and
simply copied "stud4du.dat" with that filename and got no more complaints.
But I have no idea how this actually affects anything... I assume it's not a
good thing.

The "stu2" files are (supposedly) simplified versions of studs, using only
8 polygon sections for the stud, instead of 16.  LDraw and MLCad use these
files to speed up drawing (the -FS option for LDraw).

One other important issue, that I just now remembered:  an implicit
standard of the stud*.dat p-files is that all stud objects must be 4LDU
tall, with the base at 0 and the top at -4.  This is necessary so that
editors/renderers can accurately replace the stud*.dat files with the
studline.dat p-file.  Studline.dat has only one command:

2 24 0 0 0 0 -4 0

Substitution of studline.dat is another performance cheat, used by LEdit
and MLCad.

Steve