 CAD / 9119
Re: Lines in patterns
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 14:10:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Lars C. Hassing writes:
The lines are there to have something drawn when the polygon would
otherwise be too small to be rendered (at low magnification).

Personally I don't like them in the present form,
because they rely on renderers to draw objects in a certain sequence.
In June 2002 I suggested a META statement to point out these lines,
see http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=7378

A META statement could signal their special purpose.
Renderers could treat them correctly, i.e. draw them lastly.

You don't actually have to draw them last.  Just offset them in
the Z buffer a bit toward the camera.  It's cheap, and fast, and
I think it looks pretty good.  Opengl does it for you with
glPolygonOffset but you can examine some homemade code that does
the same thing in the original ldlite sources.

Don