 CAD / 9115
Re: Lines in patterns
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 12:27:54 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Niels Karsdorp writes:
When making lots of parts BFC compliant I noticed
that many parts have lines in the patterns.
Most of these lines are surrounded by polygons.
What is the use of lines in (flat) patterns?

The lines are there to have something drawn when the polygon would
otherwise be too small to be rendered (at low magnification).

Personally I don't like them in the present form,
because they rely on renderers to draw objects in a certain sequence.
In June 2002 I suggested a META statement to point out these lines,
see http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=7378

(L3P/POV ignore lines, right?)

Right. Lines have no thickness and thus cannot be seen in 3D.
Therefore there are no lines in PovRay.

Am I right if I think that lines are used to mark
edges and corners of the parts.

That is the original purpose.

Should I leave the lines in the patterns, or may
I remove them?

A META statement could signal their special purpose.
Renderers could treat them correctly, i.e. draw them lastly.
/Lars