 CAD / Development / 7378
Re: can L3P have option to *NOT* give warning for "emphasis lines"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:32:02 GMT

Franklin W. Cain wrote...
Lars,

I have a request.  Is there some way that L3P can "know" not to "cry wolf"
whenever it encounters emphasis lines (i.e., same-color type-2 lines inside of
quads and triangles)?  Every month or so, it seems, I have to go through the
process of explaining "emphasis lines" to a new reviewer.  It would help if
these weren't flagged as "warnings" by L3P.

In the release notes for "Version 1.2 20000616" I wrote:
(http://home16.inet.tele.dk/hassing/l3p.html#version12)

(begin-quote)
Another common mistake is to reference lines with color 16 instead of
color 24, so L3P now warns about this. The only legitimate example I
have seen is in PARTS\S\973p46a.dat.DAT "~Subpart Minifig Torso with
Forestman and Purse Pattern" by Chris Dee where he used color 16
linetype 2 to make sure an outline is visible at low resolution,
see also http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=4161 and
http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=4248.
A clever but questionable technique because it makes some assumptions
about the renderer. All other examples I have seen are errors,
and that justifies the "Lines should not use color 16" warning.
(end-quote)

I still find "emphasis lines" somewhat a hack, because they rely on
questionable assumptions about some renderers.
L3P only warns about color 16 (emphasis) lines.

But I can imagine (yet another :-) meta statement like
0 EMPHASISLINENEXT
The meta statement should be use before ANY color emphasis line,
so renderers can choose whether or not they want to draw the line.

Do you have any images with and without emphasis lines for comparison ?
/Lars