 CAD / 8719
Re: How accurate need bricks and patterns to be?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 01:11:13 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Niels Karsdorp writes:
Hello,

I have a couple of questions about the accuracy of bricks for LDraw.
I have put my questions along with images to make clear what I mean
on my website:

http://home.hetnet.nl/~niels-karsdorp/ldraw/question.htm

Also an overvieuw of the bricks I am working on:

http://home.hetnet.nl/~niels-karsdorp/ldraw/ldraw.htm

Is there anyone that can answer my questions?

Niels Karsdorp

I'll defer to Steve for final ruling but here are my thoughts:

Ask yourself the following question:
Does the portion I'm leaving out detract from functionality of the part?

This question applies especially to the "fins" that you show concern about.
Some "fins" are on LEGO pieces simply to add rigidity to the piece (e.g.
part 700) and really don't need to be modelled.  Other "fins" act to align
pieces inside of an area (e.g. the underside of 2618.dat, the "Plate 1 x 2
with Steamtrain Cylinder Box" listed on your web page), these need to be
added as they contribute to the functionality of the part.

There is a fine line to draw for this issue.  Remember that were're trying
to make the LDraw library as close to 100% accurate to LEGO piece in real
life as we can get with out taxing our ability to model a part.  When in
doubt ask the community and go with the general concensus.

For discussion about stickers:

I found this on the PT:
1. The sticker is a 0.25 LDU thin box (or whatever shape is the sticker),
the pattern is on the top of the box.
2. The box is not a real box, because it has no edge lines, since it is
unnecessary to emphasize edge of the sticker.
3. The color of the thin box corresponds to background color of the sticker
pattern.
4. The sticker pattern is modelled by real colors, they are unmodifiable
from outside, so there are no 16 color lines.
5. The name of the part file begins with 'Sticker ...', thus this implies
the introduction of a new category.

Also, take a look at this post:
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=7237