 CAD / 8729
8728  |  8730
Subject:
Sticker parts numbers (was Re: How accurate ....)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 20:38:27 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Bernd Broich writes:
Imre Papp wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky writes:

For discussion about stickers:

I found this on the PT:
1. The sticker is a 0.25 LDU thin box (or whatever shape is the
sticker), the pattern is on the top of the box.
2. The box is not a real box, because it has no edge lines, since
it is unnecessary to emphasize edge of the sticker.
3. The color of the thin box corresponds to background color of the
sticker pattern.
4. The sticker pattern is modelled by real colors, they are
unmodifiable from outside, so there are no 16 color lines.
5. The name of the part file begins with 'Sticker ...', thus this
implies the introduction of a new category.

Here's something I've been batting around in my head, but I don't
know if it's consistent with the sensibilities of the LDraw
community, nor if it is really compatible with the existing software.

[...]
Thoughts?

That's me who wrote the quoted statements when I started to model some
stickers. Then I have made some sample pictures
(http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=11384)in L3p and Pov-
Ray and I detected the same seam [:-)]problem you have mentioned.

I agree with your orientation and part numbering and also with the de-
scription. This should be an impulse to make a convention for naming
and orientation of Stickers. Another problem is, how I can find out the
part number when I have used the sticker and dont have the origin paper
where they were sticked.

Now my stickers are .25 LDU height and the origin is always at the
center of underside plane of the sticker's thin box. If we don't
consider L3p and Pov-Ray representation for a minute (i.e. we don't
bother with adjusting seams), then I believe this is the right place
of the sticker's origin (= on the bottom plate).

[...]

CU BB

Where we stil have access to the sticker sheet I believe there was agreement to
use the sticker sheet number with a one-letter suffix for each unique sticker
on the sheet. Hence 168135a et seq submitted to the PT by Imre Papp.

A brief review of a pile of miscellaneous used sticker sheets reveals the
following numbering schemas

no copyright date sheets - 6-digit numbers 168xxx, 197xxx, 821xxx
(C)1993 sheets - 6-digit numbers 168xxx, 169xxx, 822xxx
(C)1994 sheets - 6-digit numbers 169xxx, 170xxx (also 4100330)
(C)1997 sheets - combo 5-digit/7-digit numbers 71xxx/41xxxxx, 72xxx/41xxxxx
(C)1998 as (C)1997
(C)1999 sheets - combo 5-digit/7-digit numbers 72xxx/41xxxxx, 22xxx/41xxxxx
(C)2000 sheets - combo 5-digit/7-digit numbers 72xxx/41xxxxx
Strangley, I have no used sticker sheets from 1995-1996.

So, prior to 1997 there is no conflict with part numbers if we use the 6-digit
number. From 1997 onwards, the similarity of the 71xxx and 41xxxxx numbers to a
few part numbers which we already know is striking.
Existing 71xxx parts seem to be confined to special finishes, such as chrome or
gold.
Existing 41xxxxx numbers seem to refer to the combination of a physical part
plus its colour or applied pattern.
So maybe there is some equivalence between these and stickers just fall in the
same allocation of inventory numbers.

Where we don't have access to the original sticker sheet, Steve Bliss and I
discussed the possibility of using a 3-digit number with a suffix, like
999s0000, 999s0001, etc. http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=7693
Although we don't appear to have posted a follow-up to this, I think we
subsequently agreed to use part numbers starting with "s", s1, s2, s3, etc,
which could be replaced with "~Moved to files" if/when we find the real sticker
sheet number.

Chris