 CAD / 8725
Re: How accurate need bricks and patterns to be?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:08:05 GMT

Imre Papp wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky writes:

For discussion about stickers:

I found this on the PT:
1. The sticker is a 0.25 LDU thin box (or whatever shape is the
sticker), the pattern is on the top of the box.
2. The box is not a real box, because it has no edge lines, since
it is unnecessary to emphasize edge of the sticker.
3. The color of the thin box corresponds to background color of the
sticker pattern.
4. The sticker pattern is modelled by real colors, they are
unmodifiable from outside, so there are no 16 color lines.
5. The name of the part file begins with 'Sticker ...', thus this
implies the introduction of a new category.

Here's something I've been batting around in my head, but I don't
know if it's consistent with the sensibilities of the LDraw
community, nor if it is really compatible with the existing software.

[...]
Thoughts?

That's me who wrote the quoted statements when I started to model some
stickers. Then I have made some sample pictures
(http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=11384)in L3p and Pov-
Ray and I detected the same seam [:-)]problem you have mentioned.

I agree with your orientation and part numbering and also with the de-
scription. This should be an impulse to make a convention for naming
and orientation of Stickers. Another problem is, how I can find out the
part number when I have used the sticker and dont have the origin paper
where they were sticked.

Now my stickers are .25 LDU height and the origin is always at the
center of underside plane of the sticker's thin box. If we don't
consider L3p and Pov-Ray representation for a minute (i.e. we don't
bother with adjusting seams), then I believe this is the right place
of the sticker's origin (= on the bottom plate).

[...]

CU BB