 CAD / 8723
Re: How accurate need bricks and patterns to be?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 08:14:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky writes:

For discussion about stickers:

I found this on the PT:
1. The sticker is a 0.25 LDU thin box (or whatever shape is the sticker),
the pattern is on the top of the box.
2. The box is not a real box, because it has no edge lines, since it is
unnecessary to emphasize edge of the sticker.
3. The color of the thin box corresponds to background color of the sticker
pattern.
4. The sticker pattern is modelled by real colors, they are unmodifiable
from outside, so there are no 16 color lines.
5. The name of the part file begins with 'Sticker ...', thus this implies
the introduction of a new category.

Here's something I've been batting around in my head, but I don't know if
it's consistent with the sensibilities of the LDraw community, nor if it is
really compatible with the existing software.

Using your idea #1 from above, might we create a sticker element that sits a
fraction off of "true" LDU alignment?  I know that a prior concern has been the
possibility that POV-Ray's seam width might make the stickers appear to "float"
off of the surfaces of the brick, but that would seem (seam!) to assume a
default sticker position of <0,0,0>.  What if the sticker were .25 LDU thick
and had a default position of <0,0,.125>?  Would that allow the sticker element
to sit partially *within* the surface, thereby preventing or reducing the
visible seam?
I have no idea if this would work in practice, nor do I know how the odd
Z-axis position would affect most software.  I'm really only familar with
LEdit, L3Lab, and L3P, so all other systems are outside of my experience.

Thoughts?

Hi Dave,

That's me who wrote the quoted statements when I started to model some
stickers. Then I have made some sample pictures
(http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=11384)in L3p and Pov-Ray
and I detected the same seam [:-)]problem you have mentioned.

Now my stickers are .25 LDU height and the origin is always at the center of
underside plane of the sticker's thin box. If we don't consider L3p and
Pov-Ray representation for a minute (i.e. we don't bother with adjusting
seams), then I believe this is the right place of the sticker's origin (= on
the bottom plate).

However your idea may work quite well, if we return considering L3p and
Pov-Ray approach. If I understand well, you are suggesting to "dip" the
sticker halfway into the holder part and thus the seaming algorithm (that
shrinks every box shaped object by a certain percentage) will not be able to
push it away enough to make a gap.

Further refining your idea, we could have the same result, if we left the
origin on bottom plane, but when building models we placed every sticker
halfway dipped i.e. altering the Y coodinate by .125 LDU.

I don't know either how this idea fits in the Ldraw philosophy.

Bye

Ampi