 CAD / 7631
Re: Create Terrains and import to POV
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 05:19:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Anders Isaksson writes:
"Kai Brodersen" <kbrodersen@comcast.net> skrev i meddelandet
news:GtG34C.2LD@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.cad, Ahui Herrera writes:
For all of you who are having trouble making real life scenes in POV-ray
check this utility out!

See this link for some sample images

Click here to download the program
http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/download.shtml

As for the exportation to Pov-ray.  The developer is looking into an
importation of objects into Terragen from Pov-ray.

Exporting from Terragen to POV is quite straightforward, but a bit tedious
(at least for me, maybe there's a better way...):

In Terragen:

- generate a nice height field (Default settings)
- select a color map (surfmap)
- Save the height field as '8 bit raw' (more on this later...)
- Set the camera at a very high altitude, looking directly down, full zoom,
make sure you see all the landscape
- Turn sky and shadows off and render the picture, this generates a bitmap
that will be used as 'image_map' in POV.

In a picture processing program that can handle the 'raw' format (for
example Paint Shop Pro):

- load the 'raw' height field you saved from Terragen
- save as .tga

In POV:

- Start with a 'Basic scene...', remove the plane and sphere
- Insert the following (suitably edited):

height_field
{tga "TheHeightFieldImage.tga"
  smooth
  hierarchy on
  pigment
    {image_map
       {sys "TheColorBitmap.bmp" once interpolate 2}
    }
  translate <-.5, -.5, -.5>
  scale <17000, 1750, 17000>
  }

The scale is of course not exact, but choosen to match my test case (a car
in the Rockies?):

(Quite a bit of fiddling in POV to get the car to the right place!)

It would be nice with a shorter path from TG to POV!
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery/index.htm

I found it easier to create a Terragen file and import it to Forester.  Then
have forester cerate the POV file and render it (minus your lego model).
Next create your POV lego model (no sky, no floor, no lights, no nothing..)

Cut and paste the code of the lego model and insert into the code that
forester made.  Ta,ta.. you are done.

Only problem is that you need to SCALE the lego model a lot and it's a PAIN
to put it in the right place...
Ahui