 CAD / 7589
7588  |  7590
Subject:
Installtionn of Terregen (was Re: Create Terrains and import to POV)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 20:48:31 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Ahui Herrera writes:
For all of you who are having trouble making real life scenes in POV-ray
check this utility out!

See this link for some sample images

Click here to download the program
http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/download.shtml

Thanks to kai brodersen for postiung this on brickshelf.
AHui

If any of you are having trouble installing the Terragen application and
it's plug-ins here is part 1 of the tutorial I am working on. The FINAL
tutorial (installation, useage, getting a scene into POV, and meshing with
your model will be done within the next 3 weeks.)  This ONLY covers the
installation process.  Note this is ONLY for WIndows Users.  Mac users
you're on your own, sorry.  Also if you are using Windows 95/98 you are in
luck as installtion is MUCH easier.  Windows NT users DO NOT BOTHER IT WILL
NOT RUN!  Windows 2000 and XP users you are in for a 4+ hour installtion
depending on what condition your system is in.

Okay here is the draft Tutorial
This program is designed for Win95,Win98 (WinME I guess it will work but I
don't recommend you HAVING WinME on ANY SYSTEM).  WinNT WILL NOT WORK.
Win2000 will but you MUST be at Windows 2000 Service Pack 2, Service Pack 2
Rollup AND have ALL CRITICAL UPDATES.

If you are NOT sure what windows 2000 version you have.  Do the following:
1. Use the mouse and do a right-click on the My Computer Icon on the desktop.
2. On the pop-up menu click on properties
3. Under System: It SHOULD SAY
Microsoft Windows 2000
x.xx.xxxx (your version of Windows2000)
Service Pack 2

If ID DOES NOT SAY servic Pack 2 then do the downloads below.

Windows 2000 Service Pack 2
Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 Roll Up
Windows Critcal Updates
Windows DirectX 8.1
Windows 2000 Compatablity Update

Click on the start button and then click on windows update icon.  This will
take you to the MS update page. It's about 4+ hours of downloads and 4-5
reboots on your system over a 50K dial-up.  Make sure you download in THE
ORDER ABOVE!

Download the following files:

3DS Files to POV convertion Program (2 files to download)
1. 3DWin_Setup.exe  (4.1MB file)
http://www.stmuc.com/thbaier/download/3DWin_Setup.exe

2. Demo_Reg_Setup.exe (90 KB file)
http://www.stmuc.com/thbaier/download/Demo_Reg_Setup.exe

3D Secne Generator (1 file + 3 optional files)
1. tginstall0811.zip  - (2.6 MB file)
http://throb.net/terragen/tginstall0811.zip

2o. sopack.zip - This is plug-in to create ice packs objects (100 KB file)
http://www.geocities.com/ffrog.geo/sopack.html

3o. guilbw_v1_2.zip - THIS IS NEEDED FOR ALL PLUG-INs (58 KB file)
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~jomeder/tgpguilib/dl/guilibw_v1_2.zip

4o. winWorks_v1_2.zip - This is plug-in to sea shorlines, waves, other water
objects. (101 KB file)
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~jomeder/WaterWorks/dl/winWorks_v1_2.zip

*************INSTALLATION******************************
Installation (make sure that windows is UP-TO-DATE first Win2K users)
1. Run 3DWin_Setup.exe
a. Install to c:\Ldraw\Apps\3dwin4\
2. Run Demo_Reg_Setup.exe
a. Install to c:\Ldraw\Apps\3dwin4\
3. Open the C:\Ldraw\Apps\3dwin4\ folder
4. Double-Click on 3Dwin.reg
a. Pop-up will appear, click 'YES'
b. Pop-up winn appear, click 'OK'
5. Double-Click on 3DWinOgl.reg
a. Pop-up will appear, click 'YES'
b. Pop-up winn appear, click 'OK'
(3DWin4 has been installed)
6. Unzip tginstall0811.zip to C:\junktmp
7. open the C:\junktmp folder
8. Run SETUP.exe
a. Install to C:\Ldraw\Apps\Terragen\
b. REBOOT YOUR MACHINE!!!!
(Terragen (scene generator) is now installed)
9. Delete the C:\junktmp folder and ALL its contents
10. Delete all the download files
a. Recommened that you save them somewhere so that you don't have to
downlaod again in case of PC crash or something later on in life.

FOR OPTIONAL PLUG-IN FILES
11. Open the guilibw_v1_2.zip file
a. Extract all files in the .zip file to C:\Ldraw\Apps\Terragen\
12. Open the sopack.zip file
a. Extract all files in the .zip file to C:\Ldraw\Apps\Terragen\
13. Open the winWorks_v1_2.zip file
a. Extract all files in the .zip file to C:\Ldraw\Apps\Terragen\
14.  Delete all the download files
a. Recommened that you save them somewhere so that you don't have to
downlaod again in case of PC crash or something later on in life.
15. REBOOT YOUR MACHINE!!

Windows 2000 users once you are done you need to follow the instructions in
this article
Download the MSArticle.pdf file

and set the TERRAGEN program to run in Windows 95 mode.  XP users you must
start the scene generator in classic mode meaning that XP acts like 95/98.

Hope this all helps,

AHui