 CAD / 7602
7601  |  7603
Subject:
No tutotial for Terregen (was Re: Create Terrains and import to POV)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 01:02:31 GMT

Okay after further review of the two wonerful 3D scene generator programs
that we have discovered [Terragen (http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/)
and Forestor http://www.dartnall.f9.co.uk/)], I have concluded that I won't
be creating a tutorial for them (at least no time so.)  Why?

Well, stop and think about this for a minute.  Who (in the Ldraw community)
is going to be using these programs?  Well in my mind we got 3 level of
users (at least this is how the tutorials are being structured): Beginner,
Intermediate, and Advance.

Now I don't forsee a beginner using this application.  God knows that at
this point newbie's have enough trouble just installing LDraw and figuring
out how to use MLCad and making the correlation that MLCad used the LDraw
Parts Library.  So obuslity, this is NOT the user this application is for.

Now let me focus on the Intermediate user, of which most of you in here are
probably at.  Yes, you know how to create your models and most of you can
generate a basic 3D image of the model and even create building
instructions.  Plus with a little cut and paste you can add that wonderful
sky code and put in a 'grassy' field.  Some of you have even masters the
tricks of animation and camera placement. Most of you are now looking at
your images thinking, "Now if I could only add a better realistic
background...".  Thus some the intermediate user (like myself) ventures of
into the world image manipulation!  We become users of photoshop and other
like applciations.
At some point we realize that is JUST NOT ENOUGH!  We need 3D objects and
with that we venture into the world of 3D. We learn about 3dWin and how and
where to download 3D models and how to convert them.  We also begin to
relaize how to create 'real' POV code.. the rode to advance user status is
upon us.

It is at this point that I think TERREGEN and FORESTER come in.  A tutorial,
if ever created, for these items would be at the 300 level in ldraw.  But
wait, what would the tutorial cover?  How to install the apps?  How to use
them?  How to send the files from TERREGEN/FORESTER to POV?  Breaking it
down we have:

1. Installation:    This is done (may need some editing)
2. How to use them: The authors of the programs already have very good
                    tutorials of their apps so no need to focus our attention
                    there.  Just look at their websites.
3. Conversion:      An intermediate/advance user will already know this so no
                    need.  It's not THAT hard to use 3Dwin.

Thus there really is NO need for a tutorial on the matter.  If at all we
just need to inform users that these 'advance programs' exist that can
create scene for them.  All we need to do is provide them with the
installation instructions since that might be a bit hairy for some.

AHui