 CAD / 4350
Re: Help generating images of ALL parts in ALL colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 20:56:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad, Troy Cefaratti writes:
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a way to generate images of all the LDraw parts in all the
different colors, as making these images by hand in MLCAD is getting a bit
tedious.

Do you actually want the parts scaled to fit in the viewable area, or would
you be happy if the image was clipped to the actual part-image?

AFAIK, only MLCAD has a feature to set the scaling to fit the current viewing
area.

I think Troy wants the same thing I want - the image clipped to the size of
the actual part-image.

I know you've said that LDLite does this, but I've now tried it about a
billion times (ok, maybe just 15) and it doesn't - not for me.  The only thing
I can get to generate images that are clipped to the part image is LDraw
itself, and of course that is painfully slow and there are other problems.
All of this is using LDLite 2.0 and LDAO 2.1.3.

Here is what I get with LDraw:

http://www.guarded-inn.com/lego/images/ldraw/1-ldraw.gif

(which is fine, since it is a small part)

but I also get this sort of thing with LDraw:

http://www.guarded-inn.com/lego/images/ldraw/10-ldraw.gif

(which is not so fine)

LDraw also cuts off a good number of other parts:

http://www.guarded-inn.com/lego/images/ldraw/6199-ldraw.gif

This is what I get when I use LDLite as the Catalog Tool to make the VEC:

http://www.guarded-inn.com/lego/images/ldraw/1-ldlite.gif

(see all that wasted space?)

http://www.guarded-inn.com/lego/images/ldraw/10-ldlite.gif

(and here, even though more of the part is there, some is still cut off)

When I update the VEC I literally change nothing but the color.  Everything is
the default (every box except Zoom is empty - Zoom is 100%).  I don't know
what I'm doing wrong but something has to be different in how you (or whoever)
generates the partsref images and how I'm doing it.

I'm generating them now in LDraw, which will be ok for a good number of the
parts, but not all of them.  If anyone else can help me figure out how to use
LDLite to generate these the correct way (without all the whitespace) I'll
give them $25 in credit for my parts store at Brickbay and ship those $25
parts to them for free.

Then I'll host all the images on one of my machines and let everyone else
point to them for their sales, auctions - whatever.