 CAD / 4297
Re: tubing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 15:25:19 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> writes:

Cool. Where can I read about scaling? It sounds like I just need to
take one of the ends and scale it to the length I need (in this
case a span of 26 studs worth of bricks from one end of the brick
to the other).

If the ends are covered, you don't need to worry too much about the
end points.  So you can take on of the end points and scale it to your
needs, as you say.  You can start with this line:

1 16 -40 1 0 0 -20 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 76.DAT

and change the "-20" to 20 times 26.  That should give you a hose with
a total length of 26 studs.

Fredrik

Cool. That worked. I had to edit the MPD by hand, though, I could not just
edit the matrix values in MLCad directly.

I think I found an MLCad quirk though. With non unit scaling/rotation factors
I found that I could not move the part in the axis direction that was non
unit. That is, once I made it 520 units (20*26) long, I could move it in
perpendicular directions but not in the direction of 520 length.

That was not a showstopper, I did an "A" to rotate it, moved it so that it was
at one end point of where I wanted it in the "real" 520 length direction, then
rotated it back and voila. It rotated around that endpoint so it was where I
wanted it to be and I then just moved it around in the other two directions to
get final placement.

Thanks!

I'd like to suggest that the general problem of being able to resize things
that are linear, but indeterminate in length (rods, string, anything with a
smooth contour, but not corrogated tubing because resizing it would make the
corrugations the wrong spacing) be something that the tool be able to do at
some future point.

Hence my FUT cad.mlcad.

Appreciate the help!

++Lar