 CAD / 17288
Re: Taking shortcuts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2010 20:56:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Roland Melkert wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Ronald Vallenduuk wrote:
As I've recently started creating parts I've been taking a closer look at how
other parts have been made. I've noticed that sometimes there are overlaps that
keep the file smaller. My question is: what is more important; having 'correct'
parts or smaller files?
For example take a look at npeghol2.dat. The two quads on the outside will
overlap with rings put on either side of this part. To avoid the overlap there
should be two quads on either side to follow the ring.
So what's best? The smallest file or no overlap?

Ronald

I'm not a part author, but from a rendering engine author's point of view. Those
kind of overlaps can cause very ugly artifacts during rendering, so imho saving
a couple of bytes (on harddrives containing 1.000.000.000.000 bytes these days!)
is not worth it.

Roland

I doubt that it is anything to do with file size, but more with the time needed
to create a "perfect" part. With a very small number of active authors, there
should be a compromise between quantity of parts being created and the quality
of each part. Some would argue that we already impose too high a level of
quality.

In any case, the space a small file takes on disk is more a function of cluster
size than its absolute number of bytes. Download time is of course directly
related to byte count, and if some users are still on dial-up, this might be an
issue.

Chris