 Off-Topic / Geek / 5218
Re: Taking shortcuts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2010 01:36:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek

   Oh, we’re playing “first PC”, eh? My first PC had *no* floppies, just a cassette, until I added a floppy at horrendous expense. 80K capacity each... Foolishly, I bought 2. For the longest time, whatever year it was, a pretty good PC seemed to always cost 3000 USD... I think that’s going down, at last.

Well, when I was young, we didn’t have fancy-schmancy comPUters. We had to use rocks for all of our computations. And it took all day to collect enough rocks to multiply 12x12 and our hands would get all bloody from hauling rocks around all day, and we LIKED IT. We loved it.

JOHN

Rocks! Wow you must have been one of the rich kids that I heard about when growing up. We would have killed to have rocks for doing our computations. Our parents would hit us with a switch and use our backsides for doing their fancy adding and such, if they made a mistake they had to wait for our skin to heal so they could start over...tax season really sucked