 CAD / 15449
Re: Questions About Selling Custom Model Instructions: Confirming LEGO/LDraw Consent
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2008 19:00:25 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jim DeVona wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Daniel Siskind wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Jim DeVona wrote:
"Commercial sale of instruction images rendered from LDraw models does not
violate the CA." True or false? Discussion?

Jim

Such a rule about the using images generated from Ldraw would be impossible to
enforce even if it did exist. That would be like Microsoft claiming ownership of
every document made with MS Office or a paint company saying that they own the
end results of any pictures created with their product. Redistributing an image
created using a product is VERY DIFFERENT than redistributing the actual
product. As long as you are using image files then you are OK.

That makes sense to me. I was careful to ask because of how vigorously the
opposing point was argued in that discussion - by some LDraw committee members,
no less.

As for custom models being "lucrative" I think you may want to research this a
bit more.  Yes money does exchange hands, but no one is getting rich doing them!

I wrote that in jest. (What, you mean you're not rolling in gold doubloons?!)

Your Brickmania site is very professional, by the way - and one of the
precedents I had in mind when I broached this subject.

Jim

If you plan on selling your instructions online be it ebay, some other auction
house, or your own website make sure you have the following.

"Legal Notice Required Per Directive Of The LEGO Group for Online Listings via
Legal Analyst of LEGO Systems, Inc."

"This sale is for a FAN MADE CUSTOM MODEL that use LEGO® bricks to create the
model. LEGO® is a registered trademark of the LEGO Group which does not sponsor,
authorize or endorse this product."

In addition you **CAN NOT** use the term "LEGO" in your title on ebay.  It will
get pulled for TRADEMARK infridgments.  I have first hand experience on this
issue with both EBAY and LEGO over the selling of the Brickmania DVD and my
other CD on buildling instrcutions.

Ahui Herrera
A&M Productions
www.aamproductions.biz