 CAD / 15443
Re: Questions About Selling Custom Model Instructions: Confirming LEGO/LDraw Consent
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2008 16:05:01 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Daniel Siskind wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Jim DeVona wrote:
"Commercial sale of instruction images rendered from LDraw models does not
violate the CA." True or false? Discussion?

Jim

Such a rule about the using images generated from Ldraw would be impossible to
enforce even if it did exist. That would be like Microsoft claiming ownership of
every document made with MS Office or a paint company saying that they own the
end results of any pictures created with their product. Redistributing an image
created using a product is VERY DIFFERENT than redistributing the actual
product. As long as you are using image files then you are OK.

That makes sense to me. I was careful to ask because of how vigorously the
opposing point was argued in that discussion - by some LDraw committee members,
no less.

As for custom models being "lucrative" I think you may want to research this a
bit more.  Yes money does exchange hands, but no one is getting rich doing them!

I wrote that in jest. (What, you mean you're not rolling in gold doubloons?!)

Your Brickmania site is very professional, by the way - and one of the
precedents I had in mind when I broached this subject.

Jim