 CAD / 15446
Re: Questions About Selling Custom Model Instructions: Confirming LEGO/LDraw Consent
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:45:12 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jim DeVona wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Jim DeVona wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Willy Tschager wrote:
This is a bit lengthy:

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/org/ldraw/?n=3804

but all boils down to this final policy:

http://www.ldraw.org/files/CAreadme.txt

(This version will be shipped with the new CA-Library)

The readme suggests that rendered images are not considered derivative works.
Since an instruction booklet consists of rendered images, and no LDraw code, I
conclude that visual instructions are not considered a derivative work.

Since the discussion you linked contained much debate about the derivative
status of rendered images, I'd like to know if anyone wearing a SteerCo hat can
confirm my conclusion.

"Commercial sale of instruction images rendered from LDraw models does not
violate the CA." True or false? Discussion?

Jim

Jim,

  There are a dozen books out there with building instructions made using LDraw
tools.  I've been involved with four.

  No-one has ever expressed negative attitudes about this activity (OK, every
book has its critics ;^)

  IMHO the for profit use of LDraw is a non-issue.

Kevin