 CAD / 15336
Re: I had to get something out before Brickworld
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2008 20:16:46 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
Hi gang,
  With a tremendous amount from Travis Cobbs, I managed to get a version of LPub
4 ready for an alpha release.

  I wanted to get something out in time for Brickworld, because I'm presenting
it there.

  I'll need Travis to let you know where to get the right version of LDView.
I'll need Dean to tell you where to get the right version of LDGLite.

  This is an alpha release, so expect some possible stumblings getting started.
Its taken a long time to get LPub4 this far.

  For my new friends in the Mac world, expect a version for the Mac very soon
(as soon as I can figure out how to get everything I need into a dmg.)

  The Win32 version, tested on XP only, is available at this very unceremonious

  Sorry for the lack of formality, but I really am excited for those of you who
are brave to give this a try.

  There will be an official web page up soon.

Kevin

I demo-ed LPub 4 for about an hour and a half at Brickworld.  I feel the process
went very well.  There were lots of great questions and suggestions.

Paul Smith Meyer, of LEGO, was present for much of the demonstration.  I've
always been curious bout how LEGO creates their building instructions.  He
described how it was originally done, and the tools they use today.  I had to
ask if LEGO had a mechanism for instructions like LPub 4 (meaning the ease of
use and automaticn).  After a thoughtful pause, he answered "No".  I was
pleased.

There are still plenty of things to fix, and features to add, but one of the
highest priority features is to read in LXF (LDD) files, convert them to LDraw,
and then use the program to create building instructions.  This could be a huge
help to  LEGO Factory which is having trouble "fully automating" the process of
building instruction generation.

Kevin