 CAD / 12597
Re: LSynth and string
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:17:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Timothy Gould wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
LSynth implement's Larry's string cross section (no use ducking Larry) to create
string using the hose synthesis class (this means splined strings with nice
smooth curves).

Umm... you REALLY should use a better string element than mine! It is really not
very accurate as it doesn't model the three strands at all. It was just a quick
hack, and it has fixed colors, if LEGO ever do red or white string it won't
work.

I can think of a way to deal with different coloured strands. You rotate each
element (with the multiple-colours defined on it) around the gradient of the
position of each element, increasing the angle as you go along. I can send
details on how to do this if anyone likes. That way, you can have a twisted
string with multi-coloured strands.

I know I've seen black and red LEGO string, but I've not seen multi-colored
string (I'm not very worldy that way sticking to robotics and technic).

Larry produced a string segment that looks a little like one of those tiny
stands they get elephants to step on.  Its sides are composed of triangles.  In
an attempt to approximate the color difference due to diffuse and specular
(shading and shinyness) he used two different colored triangles.  This is the
two-color issue being discussed.

I think the right solution is to actually provide a tri-twist part, that can be
made any color and used as a string segment.  The 3D geometry of the tri twist
part should handle the "two-color" issue Larry mentioned, and allow string to be
any single color.

Your proposal does sound interesting.  Did you imagine three colors per strand
in the tri-strand string?

Tim

Kevin