 CAD / 12594
Re: LSynth and string
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:13:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
LSynth implement's Larry's string cross section (no use ducking
Larry) to create string using the hose synthesis class (this
means splined strings with nice smooth curves).

Umm... you REALLY should use a better string element than mine!
It is really not very accurate as it doesn't model the three strands
at all. It was just a quick hack, and it has fixed colors, if LEGO
ever do red or white string it won't work.

Will it be a problem if LEGO ever do green string? ;)

er... ya. Didn't they actually DO green string already or am I
misremembering?

At this time, using the best available string element seems like
the way to go.
AFAIK, Larry's string is the best.

That's pathetic.

Is this one any better?
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/x572b.dat

It does have the advantage of actually being submitted to the Parts
Tracker, and now it's certified for the next release.

I like Larry's string part better for several reasons.  His braid is
implemented as twisted surfaces rather than edge lines so it'll show
up in both LDRAW and POV.  It also uses many less poly's so it'll draw
significantly faster.  And finally, it's much shorter so it'll handle
tighter curves, maybe even knots.

And FWIW I have spiderman hanging from a white string right in front
of me, so the color should be removed from the string element.

Don