 CAD / 12312
Re: MPD Builder ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 13:15:04 GMT

In lugnet.cad, James Mastros wrote:
Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
Hmm, the way I work it is to have the LDRAW folder with the reference library
and have a separte folder for the unoffical library.  This is the method
currently recommended by the PT admin.

I know this is the "official" way, but I prefer to have all my (unofficial)
parts available for all programs I use...

I'm brainstorming how to handle both situations.  Any ideas?
Check for a line beginning "0 Unofficial" or "0 Official" in the file.  OTOH,
not all official parts have that marker, and there's even a few that have had a
"0 Unofficial" marker skip in.  (If a parts-admin is looking, subparts 30387s01
and 973p37a; parts 2434, 4341, and 3087.)

Perhaps, instead, provide a way of specifying a cut-off date, and include all
files newer then that date in the MPD?

-=- James Mastros

Yes, I am watching !

I don't think you can rely on anything to positively identify an unofficial
part. We could enforce something in all files that are submitted to the Parts
Tracker, but unofficial files could just be local to the user, with no means of
standards enforcement.

So, I think this should be a one-way check - identify official files from
something in the header and assume that all others are unofficial.

All official parts since the advent of the Parts Tracker (update 2001-01)
_should_ have a line like
"0 LDRAW_ORG ".*" UPDATE YYYY-NN"
in the header.

Prior to the Parts Tracker the following conventions applied :
2000-01 and 2000-02 included
"0 Official LCad ".*" 2000-NN"
1997-16 to 1999-06 included
"0 Official LCad update YY-NN"
Earlier parts may not have had headers at all.

With the Contributor Agreement and licensing issues close to resolution, there
may soon be an opportunity to ensure header standardisation across the entire
official library. Whilst I really hate to say this - "Could you wait for that to
be decided?".

I'll take care of those official parts which you mention have problems. But they
should not cause confusion as they do not contain the word "unofficial" but
rather the mis-spelled "unoffical" - which is probably why the lines were not
removed by the release process. And I think you mean part 30387 not 3087.

Chris