 CAD / 12034
  Partsref DAT download problems?

Hi, can't seem to get this answered privately, so I'll try here... :) I don't know if it's just me, but I have a couple of problems using Partsref. Many times in my CAD class, I will have a student who either has a physical part in his/her hand and (...) (20 years ago, 27-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Partsref DAT download problems?

(...) Okay, if you've found it on Peeron, you should be able to tell right away if an official DAT exists because it will be linked right below the part description line, and it will have an LDraw image of the part displayed on the right. (...) (...) (20 years ago, 27-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Partsref DAT download problems?

(...) So... You're saying the solution to my problem is just don't use Partsref at all? "Doctor Doctor it hurts when I do this?" I'm trying to figure out if this link problem a real problem, or just something funky with our systems? Darrell (20 years ago, 28-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Partsref DAT download problems?

(...) I've scratched my head about this as well, but I suppose Parts Tracker is just for unoffical files. To get an offical DAT file, you can just type a URL into your browser (substituting the correct part number, of course): (URL) This is (...) (20 years ago, 28-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Partsref DAT download problems?

(...) Something like that. I was saying more on the basis that if you're already involving Peeron in your search process, there's no point in using that information to hunt the parts down in another database when Peeron already provides direct links (...) (20 years ago, 28-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Partsref DAT download problems?

(...) Wow, if I had seen that I wouldn't have even tried. Peeron it is then. I guess I go to Partsref just out of habit... No wonder Steve won't talk to me anymore! ;^) (...) Partref search results link: (URL) directory link: (URL) all, Darrell (20 years ago, 28-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Partsref DAT download problems?

(...) I didn't see it myself until today, when I spotted a new reply to it in the .admin group. (...) category entry correctly links you to .../parts/3001.dat. I'd guess the category pages are hard-coded, since they're HTML, while the search results (...) (20 years ago, 28-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Partsref DAT download problems?

(...) Yes, the location of the DAT files changed on ldraw.org -- about 3 or 4 years ago. For awhile, we had fixed it by telling the webserver to forward the URLs. But that forwarding must have been lost when we migrated to Peeron's server. I fixed (...) (20 years ago, 28-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Partsref DAT download problems?

(...) It's not a search field - it's a quick lookup field. It's a place you can type your part number, when you know what part you want to pull up. It's a convenience for people working the files on the PT, rather than a general resource for (...) (20 years ago, 28-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Partsref DAT download problems?

(...) Sorry, I must have missed your email? (...) It means "the file you asked for isn't on the PT". [snip the rest, as it's been addressed further down the thread]. Steve (20 years ago, 28-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Partsref DAT download problems?

(...) I sent several messages to parts@lraw.org about this, and about how to become authorized to submit my AutoCAD/SolidWorks-created parts. I used the link at ldraw.org that says, "email Steve Bliss or Chris Dee" for both questions.. No problem, (...) (20 years ago, 28-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Partsref DAT download problems?

(...) I don't recall receiving such a request, and if you really did email parts@lraw.org then you would not have got an answer, since the real address is parts@ldraw.org. The link on the main web-page looks OK to me, but if you found a link with an (...) (20 years ago, 28-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Partsref DAT download problems?

(...) Ack. I forgot the "d" in my message, but not in the email addy. I sent my first message on 9/29, and I believe I used the link on (URL) this page> though I'm not positive. My email program saved it, and shows it did get addressed to (...) (20 years ago, 28-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Partsref DAT download problems?

(...) The Parts Tracker error message has now been improved, to be clearer and provide a link to the partsref search. Also if the part does exist it includes a direct link to the download area. For example see (URL) But I don't have the rights to (...) (20 years ago, 29-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Partsref DAT download problems?

(...) Thanks for doing that, Chris! (...) Nope, Steve can't do that. Todd could fix the partsref/search (I can't touch anything on the lugnet server), or Dan could add a forward to the webserver on ldraw.org to handle the requests (I have access to (...) (20 years ago, 29-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Partsref DAT download problems?

(...) Sure - what are we forwarding to what? (20 years ago, 29-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Partsref DAT download problems?

(...) Requests for (URL) forward to (URL) (20 years ago, 29-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Partsref DAT download problems?

(...) Dan Boger dan@peeron.com (20 years ago, 29-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Partsref DAT download problems?

(...) Thanks! Steve (20 years ago, 29-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Partsref DAT download problems?

(...) Wow! That was... easy! Well, from my end, at least, LOL! Thanks all. Darrell (20 years ago, 30-Oct-04, to lugnet.cad)