 CAD / 12037
Re: Partsref DAT download problems?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:18:48 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Darrell Urbien wrote:
Hi, can't seem to get this answered privately, so I'll try here... :)

I don't know if it's just me, but I have a couple of problems using Partsref.
Many times in my CAD class, I will have a student who either has a physical
part in his/her hand and wants to see the .DAT file for reference/dimensions
OR s/he has the part number (e.g. from Peeron) and wants to see if a .DAT
file even exists.

Okay, if you've found it on Peeron, you should be able to tell right away if an
official DAT exists because it will be linked right below the part description
line, and it will have an LDraw image of the part displayed on the right.

We have NEVER been able to get Parts tracker to work (always says, "Library
subdirectory must be included in the filename" I have no idea what that
means).  So we use Partsref.

Parts Tracker only lists DAT files that have been submitted for approval but
haven't yet jumped through all of the requisite hurdles to be an official part.
Also, I've never been able to get the LDraw.org Search field to work on anything
but part numbers.  Anything else gets me that same Library error script.  For
simplicity's sake, I'd just stick to whatever you can access through Peeron if
they're not using LDraw at all.