 CAD / 12034
12033  |  12035
Subject:
Partsref DAT download problems?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:40:18 GMT

Hi, can't seem to get this answered privately, so I'll try here... :)

I don't know if it's just me, but I have a couple of problems using Partsref.
Many times in my CAD class, I will have a student who either has a physical part
in his/her hand and wants to see the .DAT file for reference/dimensions OR s/he
has the part number (e.g. from Peeron) and wants to see if a .DAT file even
exists. IF we can find it, we download the DAT file and translate it to DXF for
viewing in AutoCAD/3DS. Most of my students never touch LDRAW in any other form,
so they don't have access to the Part Libraries, etc. (I DO, of course, but it's
tedious to have to look up every part for every student).

We have NEVER been able to get Parts tracker to work (always says, "Library
subdirectory must be included in the filename" I have no idea what that means).
So we use Partsref.

When we find a part by searching part numbers or keywords, a "search results"
page comes up. On it there's a hyperlink under the part pic that says, "DAT".
But when we click on the link, it says the page does not exist. However if we
acutally surf Partsref to find the part in its subdirectory*, the DAT link on
THAT page works (i.e. the student can download the DAT file). I don't remember
this always being the case - is this something on my end fouling things up?

Darrell Urbien
Orange Coast College CAD

*This process is quite difficult as well.. If I know the part number I can
search for the part and it comes up. BUT the search results don't tell me the
branch of the tree where the part can be found. Since the DAT link doesn't work
on the results page, I end up having to browse likely subdirectories for the
part, which can take forever! It's not always obvious which branch of the tree
the part belongs in, for example..  Am I missing some part of the search
function here?