 CAD / 11935
Re: New colours in Ldraw?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 18:15:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
I don't want to come off the wrong way here, but is it really a good idea to be
using a new color in a part so soon after it has been made official?  You can
pretty much guarantee it will look wrong in every current program if you do so.

Also, I though official parts had to look correct when rendered by LDraw.
(Mind you, I'm not sure this requirement is such a good idea any more, but I
thought it was the case.)  Is it now OK to use colors in parts that aren't
supported by the original LDraw?

Thanks for bringing this up, Travis.  It's a very good point.

The answer is: yes and no.

The LDraw codes for new Stone Gray, Dark Stone Gray, and Reddish Brown were
selected so that the original LDraw will treate them as Gray (color 7), Dark
Gray (8) and Brown (6).  So when parts using these colors are rendered by LDraw,
it will give results that are fairly close to what's expected (unless someone is
deliberately mixing old and new colors to get a variegated style).

OTOH, if someone uses color 25 (for orange) in a part, LDraw will not produce
anything close to the expected results.  The orange bits will turn out blue.  So
orange (and pretty much every color code between 17 and 30) should not used in
official part files.

Steve