 CAD / 11789
    Re: on Collision, stop Movement —David Laswell
   (...) hundred different means of connecting various parts together, and many of them are not the sort of thing that you'd just look at and think, "Yes, these two parts are intended to connect together like so." Some of them might be accidental (the (...) (20 years ago, 16-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: on Collision, stop Movement —Travis Cobbs
     (...) I personally have pretty much kept out of the LCD discussions, and to be honest, I'm pretty sure that all the work that has been done so far on the spec hasn't been done by programmers interested in actually implementing the functionality. (...) (20 years ago, 16-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

         Re: on Collision, stop Movement —David Laswell
      (...) I hope so. Many of the parts that most need this system to be implemented are probably going to be the most difficuult to implement and the least likely to be included in an initial release. Basic stud connections would benefit from (...) (20 years ago, 16-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

          Re: on Collision, stop Movement —Martijn Zwaal
      (...) I am a programmer with an interest in implementing something like clickablibity. I think te best way to do it is to assign connecection rules to primitives or combinations of primitives. That way you may be able to derive most possible (...) (20 years ago, 22-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

          Re: on Collision, stop Movement —David Laswell
      (...) That assumes that you have primitives made for both the male and female connector, which I very much doubt is always the case. Studs are pretty much always going to be one of two types (solid or hollow, though many of the BIONICLE masks use (...) (20 years ago, 22-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

         Re: on Collision, stop Movement —Kevin L. Clague
     (...) A connection database would be great for something like a simulator. I was at BrickFest and someone asked me about this. It might be fun to work on a project like that, and it could be handy to have the features within an editor. Often I make (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

         Re: on Collision, stop Movement —Travis Cobbs
     (...) And hey, now might be just the time to do it. You might win valuable prizes :-O! The L Prize site hasn't yet said what you need to do to win prizes there, but reading between the lines, it at least sounds like LCD-based projects would be high (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: on Collision, stop Movement —Andrew Allan
   (...) To add my 2 cents worth, I've tried a few experements within MBC for making parts clickable where I defined "male" and "female" connection points within the brick (i.e. STUD = male). Ignoring the sheer number of ways even a brick as simple as (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: on Collision, stop Movement —David Laswell
     (...) In terms of practical application, that sounds like a problem that needs to be addressed by the interface software, such as MLCad. In terms of what needs to be done for LCD to accomodate that, I'd say that polarity will be required for a (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: on Collision, stop Movement —Don Heyse
     (...) We discussed this years ago. Maybe there's some ideas there. (URL) solved many such alignment problems in 2D, but never in 3D. It's harder to visualize because of my poor drawing skills. I wonder if you can break it down into two 2D alignment (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: on Collision, stop Movement —Jeff Findley
     (...) You need to have the user pick more than just the "male" and "female" locations. To get the two bricks on top of each other (instead of inside each other), the "male" and "female" locations ought to have some concept for up and down. For parts (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

         Re: on Collision, stop Movement —Andrew Allan
     (...) To clarify, my system consideres each connection point as a vector with a defined point of origin. The vectors are perpendicular to the stud axis. In this way a brick can rotate about the vector (or stud) and still be aligned just like real (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

         Re: on Collision, stop Movement —Jeff Findley
     (...) I was addressing this issue from the user's point of view. The math of the transformation matrices needed to carry out the user's intent is a detail I do not wish to cover (it's only coding, right?). I am only trying to define a minimum set of (...) (20 years ago, 20-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: on Collision, stop Movement —Anders Isaksson
     (...) Assuming you already know *which* male (M) should connect to which female (F), and that M is to be rotated (this might in fact be the difficult part to figure out!): Use the F <connection direction> as the primary axis for a coordinate system (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: on Collision, stop Movement —Edwin Pilobello
   (...) I have a 12 year old in my Game Maker class. He is building models and hoping to bring them into Anim8or (or Blender) via POV-Ray. He then hopes to bone the tri-mesh and create animations. Each frame of the animation will then be used to build (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: on Collision, stop Movement —David Laswell
   (...) Ideally, if the click-system is running, it should still allow you to slide a piece between two other pieces where it has a mating surface with both of them. It should just automatically switch from whatever movement increment you have (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)