 Announcements / 897
  Proposal: TOWN building contest

(Forgot to post this to .announce originally - FUT .town) In the spirit of the recent Classic Space building contest, I'm proposing (and am willing to organise) a building contest for us TOWN junkies. I have some ideas of how we can do it (and I've (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-00, to lugnet.announce) !

  Re: Proposal: TOWN building contest

I think there should be these categories (the ideas below a category are sub categories) -boats/ships -frieghter -personal -military -comercial -industrial( tankers chemical ships) -buildings: - commercial -residential -industrial -train -government (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-00, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Proposal: TOWN building contest

(...) If you don't believe the piece count, consider that in your voting. If you think the modeler squeaked under the category size limit by using large, rare pieces, and you don't think that's fair, consider that in your voting. Personally, I don't (...) (24 years ago, 31-Dec-00, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Proposal: TOWN building contest

I like the idea, but why not add Town Layout into the fray as a category... I've seen some pretty nice layouts of towns, and there are some that have a lot of interesting views, facts, and creativity associated with the town... that's my (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Proposal: TOWN building contest

I love the idea of a town building contest and I already have some models picked out for entry. I think that a person should be allowed to enter one(and only one) model into each catagory. For voting each person gets to vote for one model in each (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Proposal: TOWN building contest

I like the idea of adding a Town Layout as a category. I am in the process of setting up my town after 20 years of collecting. I would love you take some pictures of it and have it judged. Very Good Idea. (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Proposal: TOWN building contest

I like the idea of adding a Town Layout as a category. I am in the process of setting up my town after 20 years of collecting. I would love to take some pictures of it and have it judged. Very Good Idea. (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Proposal: TOWN building contest

Kevin: (...) Great. (...) Considering the results from earlier competitions (such as the "Ancient Times" one), I would definitely appreciate some categories with limitations similar to what the designers at LEGO have to live with - most important of (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Proposal: TOWN building contest

(...) Should be anything that could be found in a modern town. That doesn't mean everything has to be "Modern" but everything should be something common to most towns in a modern world. (...) Well I have some stuff I would enter but anything "new" (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Proposal: TOWN building contest

(...) I have two remaining problems with placing DATs in the same categories as photos. First, you can use any number of rare pieces. Second, you can build things that *attach* like real-world pieces but you aren't limited to building structures (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Proposal: TOWN building contest

Amy: (...) I don't find that a serious problem. The definition of "rare" is anyway strongly dependen't on when you got your LEGO sets, and what kind of sets you were lucky enough to get. (...) I consider that cheating! Play well, Jacob -- "There is (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Proposal: TOWN building contest

(...) I agree. Building in "Real Life" is an additional challenge. One could think of it as "Built Projects" vs. "Project Proposals." I've seen architecture exhibits where the designs were never expected to be built -- they were extreme solutions (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Proposal: TOWN building contest

(...) I think your categories are too small. As someone stated, 1000 pieces makes only a medium-sized model. The organ in my church might use more than that. I still like subjective size categories. The contest guidelines may quantify what is a (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Proposal: TOWN building contest

(...) I forgot DATs. I still don't think they should compete with built structures, so three more categories... Best small computer model (400 pieces) Best medium-size computer model (2000 pieces) Best large computer model (>2000 pieces) The DAT (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Proposal: TOWN building contest

(...) My next bridge project will have a constraint I want extra credit for: it must hold a real-world cat or two :-) Amy (24 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Proposal: TOWN building contest

(...) Yeah. To most people a part like, say, the monorail motor cover from the airport shuttle is a rare piece but to someone who has 8 airpirt shuttles it might not be... (24 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Proposal: TOWN building contest

(...) [...] What if there were no entry categories at all? Entries went into one pool, then the specific awards went to the most appropriate winners as determined by votes. Because participants would see a list of awards to be handed out, they could (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Proposal: TOWN building contest

<snip> (...) I agree with Suz with an additional comment. The "wow" factor of seeing a picture using real bricks is different (not saying better, not saying worse - just "different") than the "wow" factor of seeing a DAT/CAD rendition. Both are (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Proposal: TOWN building contest

(...) Or painting vs. sculpture? (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)