 Announcements / 2542
2541  |  2543
Subject:
her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.announce, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Sat, 15 May 2004 03:57:40 GMT

well, with Orion being a rather ageing man of war, she sailed back to England to be refit. as a replacement, the Admiralty sent out the first of the newest class of sloop, HMS Tempest.

her design is a vast improvement over the prior ships. she is built for heavy abuse. she has a thicker hull, and a sturdier decks, which allow her to carry a bigger armament. she carries a complement of 16 guns on the upper deck. she has yet to be outfitted with any top deck carronades, but they will come. her lines are smooth for faster sailing than the earlier classes, and with her heavier armament, she will make a much improved hunter-killer/scout for fleet actions.

full folder (post mod): http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=82960

pirates, fear the sight of her sails on the horizon, for there will be nowhere to run!

in all seriousness, i finally got off my duff and took out my legos again! it’s been too long. thanks to everyone posting creations recently, they really helped get me motivated! okay: i am very happy with the design improvement over Orion, Tempest is much more aesthetically pleasing. i have yet to build carronades for the top deck, and am having a bit of difficulty coming up with a design i am pleased with. if anyone has any pics of their own, or advice, i would much appreciete any help you can give! in any case, the feature i am most happy with is my improvement in the design of the stern galleries. it is hard to see, as black doesnt make for great detail visibility, but i tried to get some pics so you could see what it looks like. i think on this ship, i managed to get the “look” i was looking for, proportions and all that. i am extremely happy with the total package, and even my sails were better on this one, i will get better at them eventually.

okay, as always, i always am trying to render my ships as historically accurate as possible, so anything you guys can pick out, let me know.i looked at many more ships, and i think my mast placement and sail designs are accurate. so: PLMKWYT!!!!

best regards, steve