 Announcements / 2543
2542  |  2544
Subject:
Den ukendte galakse - A LEGO Publishing comic from 1986, rediscovered
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.announce, lugnet.books
Date:
Sat, 15 May 2004 17:39:00 GMT

I admit to being the secret owner of a real treasure: The LEGO Publishing comic Den ukendte galakse (The Unknown Galaxy for the non-Danish reader). Here is the cover, Copyright 1986 LEGO Publishing:

You might recognize the gray robot on the cover. I “stole” it for my LEGO comic, Galactic Requiem. Daniel Hamann also used it as a crew member for his Container Shuttle Craft. Quite a bit of fame the little bot is building up all of a sudden.

The comic was published in the “glory days” of Classic Space in 1986. It is in Danish, and I don’t know if it was ever published anywhere else. Den ukendte galakse is merely the first in a series, titled Jim Spaceborn. Unfortunately, I only have this one issue, and I don’t know how many were published. I got my issue on vacation in Denmark when I was four yeard old, and it became my favorite comic. Its characters featured in many creations of mine.

Den ukendte galakse tells the story of Jim Spaceborn, a youth aboard the gigantic spaceship Spydspids (Arrowhead). Due to a power failure, they are sucked inside a black hole, and emerge in an unknown galaxy (hence the title), controlled by the evil warlord Kazak. Jim and the first mate of Spydspids, Viva, goes on a reconnaissance flight in a little stifinner (Pathfinder), the spaceplane featured on the cover. They land on the planet Bargain (where you can sell everything and buy even more). There Jim buys the robot Keko, who is mute. After a brief run-in with Kazak’s henchmen, they escape back to Spydspids. The chief mechanic of the spaceship, Duncan, repairs Keko (so he can talk), and the robot subsequently tells the crew about the evils of Kazak and beseech them to help free its homeworld of Robus from the clutches of the evil mastermind...

I could tell you the rest of the plot, but that would be somewhat of a spoiler, wouldn’t it?

I could, of course, scan the comic and post it on the Internet, but it’s more than 50 pages long, and I’m somewhat afraid of getting my pants sued off me for copyright infringement. If someone could alleviate my fears of this grisly fate, I might reconsider.

I would dearly like to know if anyone knows what happened to the rest of the series, and if anyone, by some miracle, are in possession of them.

Christian Holden