 Announcements / 1570
  Brickset.com receives overhaul

Following numerous complaints about response times, I have rewritten brickset.com from scratch using ASP.NET. Initial tests suggest that it is up to 200% quicker serving search results. For now, it looks and behaves much like the old site, but over (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-02, to lugnet.announce)

  Re: Brickset.com receives overhaul

(...) It takes a couple of minutes just to view the home page, even with the rewrite. Why are you using ASP at all? Why not use Perl, PHP, JSP, or just about *anything* but ASP? --Bill. (22 years ago, 27-Mar-02, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Brickset.com receives overhaul

(...) Huw! That's great! I post reviews on brickset.com at least once a week, and I happy to see that response times have speeded up to a decent rate. Just a question here. What sort of additional features might you add to brickshel.com in the (...) (22 years ago, 27-Mar-02, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Brickset.com receives overhaul

(...) Seems nice and fast, even on my crummy work connection. And speaking as an ASP programmer currently having to write in PHP, ASP is so much better. :) It is especially speedy if run using Chillisoft on Unix James (22 years ago, 28-Mar-02, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Brickset.com receives overhaul

(...) Well, it certainly doesn't from here. Perhaps (hopefully) it was a transient thing. (...) ASP.NET is a vast improvement over ASP. I know I will be wasting my breath arguing its virtues compared to JSP/PHP etc. because I suspect you (and (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-02, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Brickset.com receives overhaul

(...) and (...) I'm glad at least you are noticing an improvement! And, thanks for your reviews, keep then coming. (...) forum (...) I had a play with an ASP.NET chatroom,, but it really didn't work too well. Personally, I don't think there is a (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-02, to lugnet.publish)

"James Stacey" <James@minifig.co.uk> wrote in message news:Gtor8z.293@lugnet.com... (...) Good, another Bill Gates worshipper :-) (fut: off-topic.geek) Huw (22 years ago, 28-Mar-02, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Brickset.com receives overhaul

(...) Yeah. I mean, look at this! (URL) at 'drtnysey's' review. This does not belong here! And somebody else on the same page seems to think that this is a message board or something. Something needs to be done. John Kruer (22 years ago, 28-Mar-02, to lugnet.publish)

"John Henry Kruer" <jhkruer@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:GtpBvD.Cyp@lugnet.com... (...) else (...) Thanks -- I have deleted several of them. If you notice any more, please let me know. I plan to go through them all, but it takes time -- there (...) (22 years ago, 28-Mar-02, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Brickset.com receives overhaul

(...) You mean like one second before I send a request, instead of one second after I send a request? :-) Play well, Jacob -- (URL) (22 years ago, 29-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

"John Henry Kruer" <jhkruer@yahoo.com> wrote in message (...) else (...) Something has just been done. Reviews are now moderated. We'll stop those juvenile Bionicle-buyers once and for all. Huw (22 years ago, 30-Mar-02, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Brickset.com receives overhaul

(...) I normally use Netscape, and it took minutes for the home page to come up, but when I fired up Internet Explorer, it came up fairly quickly. As much as I hate Microsoft for railroading Netscape, there seems to be no way to avoid using Explorer (...) (22 years ago, 31-Mar-02, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Brickset.com receives overhaul

(...) What version of Netscape do you use? I use Mozilla 0.9.8 and came up almost instantly. (Netscape 4.7, otoh, was hopeless.) If you're using a Netscape 6 and seeing this problem, try upgrading to a Mozilla build. (22 years ago, 31-Mar-02, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Brickset.com receives overhaul

(...) There are a couple of html problems on the home page. The one causing the problem is a <table> instead of a </table> near the end, shortly after function ValidatorOnSubmit. When this is fixed, I can load the page in Netscape 4.7 in under 15 (...) (22 years ago, 31-Mar-02, to lugnet.publish)

"John Herre" <jherre@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:GttLro.GyJ@lugnet.com... (...) function (...) 4.7 in (...) Whoops... thanks for spotting that! I have corrected it, and will go through the rest of the home page source code files later on. (...) (22 years ago, 31-Mar-02, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Brickset.com receives overhaul

(...) Ah, that would explain a lot. Netscape 4 is extremely picky about having a </table> for every <table>. If you don't, it will not display the table at all. (...) Netscape 6 is a complete rewrite of Netscape 4, based on the pseudo-open-source (...) (22 years ago, 1-Apr-02, to lugnet.publish)