 Administrative / Suggestions / 1324
Re: Vote to unhighlight?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:51:15 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
  I was asking for the ability to prevent or remove any highlighting only
from my own posts.  I guess I felt it would be only the author's perogative
(i.e. I wouldn't have the ability to lowlight anyone else's post.).

I would probably suggest 2 bits tagged on the post:
1) Author has prevented highlighting/spotlighting
2) Admin has prevented highlighting/spotlighting

The effect of the bits would actually be pretty hidden. Instead of preventing
people from spotlighting or highlighting, it just prevents the post from
appearing in the Lugnet sidebar if it's got either bit set. So, people can still
spotlight your post all they want, but it won't climb the charts.

I think it would be a great default option, too for certain subgroups. So,
perhaps you can say if the *parent* post has the unhighlight bit set, the
default behavior of any replies is to have the bit set (the user could of course
choose un unset it). Ditto for off-topic.*. Have the default be to have the bit
set.

Authors probably couldn't have a way to automatically update the bit if they
changed their minds later, although *IF* they're paying Lugnet members, and
posted while logged in, maybe they could update the bit. (Or hell, other things
about the post like change the FUT).

DaveE