 Administrative / Suggestions / 1317
Re: Vote to unhighlight?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:02:05 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, David Koudys wrote:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Suzanne Rich Green wrote:

<snip>

I think what he means is to 'lowlight' a post. Like, if you not only think it
shouldn't be hightlighted by yourself, it shouldn't be highlighted by some
others either.

-Suz

Suz,
  Thanks for the clarification.  Yes.  I mean lowlight.

It's a good idea on paper.  The issue will arise when Group A has more people
than Group B--Group A can always make sure nothing from Group B ever gets
highlighted just by everyone in Group A 'lowlighting' the post.

I mean if we already have an issue with people highlighting what others consider
to be 'inconsequential posts', the lowlighting will add a whole new kettle of
fish...  "Why did so many people 'lowlight' this fabulous castle MOC???  Are the
Spaceys at it again???"

LUGNET history note: we already went through this.  When highlighting was first
available, it was possible to give a negative rating to messages.  This feature
was abused/misused almost immediately -- or at least, people perceived that it
was being abused/misused.  The interface was changed to only allow
no-vote/highlight/spotlight.

Lowlighting would have to be handled differently from highlighting.  Lowlighting
would be a setting on a message to prevent people from highlighting it at all.
Basically, the author of the message would need to specify 'lowlight flag' when
the message is posted.

Steve