 Administrative / Suggestions / 1164
Re: leaving LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 00:08:57 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Ross Crawford wrote:
Well please take a look at the small print at the bottom of my Lugnet page:
http://www.lugnet.com/~469/ It is *my* information, and keeping a copy
without my permission would be rude, and arguably (lawyers do like to argue
about that kind of stuff) breach of copyright.

Again, I'm not saying that Lugnet really shouldn't remove data if someone asks.
But if there's going to be an easily accessible system, I'd prefer "hide" over
"remove". If there's a court order, or someone really does specify that they
want their personal information removed, then by all means, it's gotta go! But I
want to discourage them from saying that. If "hide" will make them equally
satisfied, I say hide it rather than remove it.

If it were indeed your server, and you refused to acknowledge such copyright,
I would not use it to store my information.

Heh, wouldn't it be too late at that point? :) That is, if you posted something
to Lugnet's forums, which, by the TOS you agreed to, grants LUGNET use of (and
modification of! [1]) that information, even to the extent that it can
*sublicense* it, you'd be out of luck if you tried to revoke their use.

But again, I'm not talking about flat-out refusal to remove information. That'd
potentially be illegal. I just don't want to make it easy.

DaveE