 Administrative / Suggestions / 1159
Re: leaving LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 21:34:58 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Ross Crawford wrote:
I disagree. If I want all my information removed from the server, I want it
*removed* not just hidden. If people want an option to hide their info, that
should be a separate option.

It's a totally valid request, I just hate the idea. It's one of those things
that makes links go stale and makes things untraceable. If it were my server,
I'd take the data off the common database and put it in a backup file. It might
be different if my server specifically said that the information transmitted was
under your copyright, and that my server was only using it with your permission,
in which case I'd reluctantly delete it. But I'd still hate to do it.

In fact there already is such an option, but it can only be invoked via a
newsreader (AFAIK). But you'll be happy to know you can only do 1 at a time,
and you have to confirm via email, similar to when you post via email or
newsreader.

Oh, I know newsreaders can do it. And although I hate it when people cancel
posts, I begrudgingly support their right to do so. But if I had my druthers,
I'd make it as difficult as possible. If I were writing it into the web
interface, for example.

Fortunately (for me), since it's NNTP and SMTP, messages aren't ever "lost",
because somebody out there might still have them-- the central database isn't
the only source for it. Member data being different obviously, unless someone's
set up something to slurp the data (I've admittedly done that a few times with
member pages, set rankings, and even public set lists for various statistic
analysis)

DaveE