 Administrative / Suggestions / 1161
Re: leaving LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 22:02:46 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Ross Crawford wrote:
Well please take a look at the small print at the bottom of my Lugnet page:
http://www.lugnet.com/~469/ It is *my* information, and keeping a copy without
my permission would be rude, and arguably (lawyers do like to argue about that
kind of stuff) breach of copyright.

If it were indeed your server, and you refused to acknowledge such copyright, I
would not use it to store my information.

Please note: I am not a lawyer, nor am I Todd Lehman, the following is just my
own personal best understanding of Lugnet's terms of use and intentions.

Note however this statement in the TOS:

7. By posting messages, uploading files, inputting data, or engaging in any
other form of communication through this service, you are granting LUGNET and
its owners a perpetual, irrevocable, royalty- free, unrestricted, non-exclusive,
worldwide license to:

(i) Use, copy, publish, sublicense, adapt, transmit, archive, restore, publicly
perform, or display any such communication in any medium, and to

(ii) Sublicense to third parties the unrestricted right to exercise any or all
of the foregoing rights granted with respect to the communication.

So sorry, you've already given Lugnet permission to maintain a copy of your web
page. If this was a serious misunderstanding of Lugnet's Terms of Use, please
contact the administration team and we will do our best to resolve the
situation.

In fact, since this TOU doesn't specifically mention cancelation or user
modification of files, Lugnet technically has the right to continue to publish
something even after you have requested it be removed.

HOWEVER: I should note that the primary purpose of this condition in the TOU is
to assure that Lugnet has the authority to do what it does: display your posts
and FTX pages for others to see. A secondary purpose might be to allow
publishing of a CD-ROM which is a snapshot of Lugnet at some point in time. The
intention is not to be able to at some future point embarass you by posting your
posts in the New York Times or something like that. Oh, one more use, it does
allow Lugnet to not have to go find any backups that might have been made of the
server and remove your posts (and in fact, Lugnet does not ever delete posts,
they are only hidden from view, if you suddenly have a change of heart and want
to uncancel a post, the admins have the capability to do that - though it might
be hard to find the post if you don't know the group it was posted to and the
post number.

Frank Filz