 Administrative / Suggestions / 1157
Re: leaving LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 21:08:40 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Cary Clark wrote:
I easily found a link to join LUGNET, but did not stumble across one to leave
LUGNET. For instance, a link to 'Leave Group' is on the front page of all
joined Yahoo groups.

I recommend exposing a link that allows:
- removing oneself from the LUGNET membership
- deleting one's member page, e.g. http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/?m=XXX
- removing all data from one's LUGNET membership pages, e.g.
http://www.lugnet.com/~XXX

Um, ok-- I guess I could see that. I don't understand why anyone would have the
slightest inclination to DO it, but I suppose I could imagine that it's a
legitimate thing to want, if you want to no longer have your member page
displayed to the public internet. Maybe you want to hide your name or something,
and would prefer to be known anonymously, or not at all. I would encourage
administration to treat it more like a "hide" rather than a "remove", however.

Although it may seem like a little much, it would be great if there was also
a way to cancel all of one's own posts en masse.

I STRONGLY disagree that it would be "great". Personally, I seriously loathe the
idea of cancelling *individual* posts anyway. If there were EVER an automatic
post canceller for Lugnet, I would hope that it would make it as difficult as
possible to cancel posts, and only let you do it one post at a time. I'm of the
mind to think that cancelling posts isn't something to be done lightly or "en
masse".

What's provoking this seemingly horrifically paranoid inquiry? The only reason I
can imagine is that someone might want to hide their name/email address from the
public domain. And if that's the case, I would argue there are FAR better
solutions than "mass cancel". Is there something else that's come up to
encourage a desire to quit Lugnet? (As in actually make it look like you never
existed, as opposed to just never coming back again, which should in theory have
the same effect on the person leaving, but a far milder effect on the community
that remains)

DaveE